Saturday, February 26, 2011

Look out, World.

Lately, the weather has been awesome! It's cool, sunny and perfect for dining outside. And most importantly, it is the perfect weather for crawfish! So, last night my friend and I decided to head to a popular restaurant for a few drinks and some hot, boiled crawfish.

This is besides the point, but it is relevant to this story...

If you follow me regularly, you be wondering what "86 sense" means. Well, in the restaurant world, when something is "86'ed," it means we are out of it. Conversely, when something is "68'ed," it means we have it again. Just some quick restaurant lingo for those who might be confused. Therefore, my name represents all of the people who lack common sense when dining...as well as my state of mind while serving these people in hopes to get on their level and truly understand them.

Anyway, the theme of our dining experience last night was definitely "86 sense." Here is the play-by-play...

Dressed in running shorts, t-shirts, hats and tennis shoes, we walked into the restaurant ready to eat some crawfish. We walked up to the hostess and asked to be seated on the balcony. She said it was full; however, before we walked in we assessed the situation, and there were clearly four open tables. So, she goes upstairs to look. When she comes back down, she tells us that there are tables but no chairs because others had taken them. Also, I should mention that there were five hostesses.

Knowing that there was availability, we asked if we could just go up there and look for ourselves...and we were so nice the whole time. I am not sure what part of this statement was hard to understand, but they looked like someone asked them to solve an impossible math problem.

Walking away, we just giggled about it because it was so awkward because they were literally so dumb. Guess you just had to be there to understand these girls. Next, we walked out on to the balcony and had 4 tables, like I suspected before, with...wait for it...


Chairs. That makes the first "86 sense" experience. Then, our waitress comes.

No "hi girls, how are y'all?" or "what can I get for you tonight?"...she just walks up and asks "So, are y'all just gonna chill tonight?"

"86 sense" experience number two.

Do I look like a girl who comes to a restaurant to "just chill"? No, I am dressed in shorts and a t-shirt with every intention of pigging-out...and it is obvious like I like to eat!

We ordered our drinks, and when she returned we ordered. This is how it went:

Me: "Yes, we want the mozzarella sticks, then we would each like the crawfish."
Server: "OK, so two mozzarella sticks, and two crawfish?"
Me: "No, we want one mozzarella and each want crawfish."
Server: "Oh yeah, that's whats up!"

"86 sense" experience number three.

Seriously? I know this is a casual place, but come on, girl. Be mindful of what you say to your guests...you never know who you are serving.

Well, after about 15 minutes, no cheese sticks! They are listed under the appetizer section, and we figured she knew her menu. Since my friend and I are both servers, we didn't want to be those obnoxious women who flag you down from across the restaurant...so I somehow managed to catch her attention as she was walking by in her constant state of confusion.

I told her that we wanted it as a starter...since it was listed as one. She played it cool and managed to get them within the next minute. Before we could take a bite, there she was, holding our crawfish. Keep in mind that our table was about two feet by two feet, and we have no room for our feast. All we could do was laugh it off.

"86 sense" experience number four.

Thank goodness she had one thing going for her: refill efficiency. Before I ordered, I rethought my decision because I didn't want to be stuck sucking ice cubes while eating crawfish. The things she would ask us and her actions were just comical. And after our responses she would always say, "Good. Great." It was so funny.

Then came time to split our checks. I was nervous. We told her to split the appetizer and dessert between the two of us. She split everything in half....but put them on the same ticket:

1/2 cheese sticks
1/2 cheese sticks
1 crawfish
1 drink

Last time I checked, two halves make a whole, right? "86 sense" experience number five.

Probably won't ever go back to that location, unless I want to be entertained by bad table side mannerisms. From the rude and blind fleet of hostesses, to the ditsy and scatterbrained server, the whole dining experience was like being punked. Thank goodness the crawfish were good.

Usually, if people lack the "book smarts," they can usually fend for themselves with common sense. As for these hostesses/servers, they lack both. Look out, World.

Always at your service,
86 sense

1 comment:

  1. I can never figure out if being a server makes me hyper-critical or not but this is just down right sad service. Come get crawfish from me next time and this will all be resolved!!!

    ReplyDelete