Saturday, April 30, 2011

You don't have to call me Darlin', Darlin'.

If one thing is sure, I have learned a lot about working with different people. In the professional world, you encounter people who have similar interests as you. Educational backgrounds, levels of maturity and a professional setting allow for an entirely different work environment, and if something or someone is bothering you, you have the option to shut your office door. However, in the restaurant industry, you work with the most random mix of people. For instance, in one shift I can work with a mom, dad, high school student, college student, college graduate, businessman, flight student, artist, culinary student, foreigner, or just an average person. When you throw all of us together, squeezing through a crowd of dishwashers, cooks, servers and dirty plates only tests your patience...and the only door you can shut is the freezer. Even the five gallon buckets of Blue Belle and moments of peace are not enough to entice me into an ice box. Close, but not enough.

As anyone knows or can assume, communication becomes a key component during a busy shift when it comes to the work flow and maintaining a high level of service...and what is even more important is that the communication is the RIGHT kind in order to run a successful shift. So, whenever we are busy and I speak to someone, I usually address them by their names or a shorthand name, and others address me the same way. For example, Derek would be "D." Megan would be "Meg." Ashley would be "Ash." You get the picture. It's quick, simple and people respond. However, when you refer to me as "Hun," "Darlin'," "Sweetheart," or "Baby," you will get an evil look, or most frequently, nothing, in return. Terms of endearment are only cute when they come out of the mouth of a hot cowboy or an old person from the deep south. An 18-year-old girl saying, "Thanks, Sweetheart," only gets on my nerves. "Sweetheart, can you drop this at table 24?" "Hun, did you refill 18?" "Baby, they woman at 53 wants some more bread." Well, that is enough to shut me down. Good luck with your shift, baby girl. Your annoying efforts to communicate with me have driven me to shun you...every shift.

However, in some cases, this works for some people...and by some, I mean about two. I have a friend that always uses the word "Boo." It works for her. She has the personality that allows for this. "I got that, Boo...What do you need, Boo...Thanks, Boo." Somehow, coming out of her mouth it doesn't bother me...maybe because we have been working together longer and actually have a friendship. So, I guess when it comes to people I am less comfortable with, chances of me tolerating them and their pet names are slim.

I am not too sure why this bothers me so much, but is becoming more and more prevalent where I work. It is even to the point where other servers are annoyed with it too. Not too long ago, I was in the alley with two other servers. Let's call these two girls Jane and Sue. Jane asked Sue for something, and Sue gave it to her. Jane replied, "Thanks, my little cupcake." Sue replied, "You're welcome, honey bunches of oats." I couldn't help laughing because it was obvious they were joking...since they were laughing too. So, it wasn't just me that noticed this trend going on, others couldn't stand it either. Jane and Sue made it obvious to the girls that coin these phrases. With clever, silly names and impeccable timing, they put on a show every time the girls are near us. Hopefully, they are starting to get the picture.

So, I will leave you with words from a wise man. As Merle Haggard would say, "You don't have to call me Darlin', Darlin'. You never even called me by my name." He may not be a hot cowboy, but the words sure do sound good coming out of his mouth.

Always at your service,
86 sense

No comments:

Post a Comment